Interested in gray hair pieces? We hear you! Whether you want your thin, gray hair to look fuller or perhaps are facing hair loss, or maybe you have started to gray, you can choose to have gray hair pieces incorporated into the hair of your hair system.
The availability of gray hair pieces, fake fringes, gray hair pieces, and extension clip-in pieces has grown as they are now a big fashion accessory. If you are currently on a journey to find hair pieces for gray hair that works for you and look as natural as possible, you are in the right place.
There is a lot of information about the various wig and hair systems. Some people like to have a good overview of what is available in advance of visiting a supplier, so they can an informed decision.
This is why it is important to understand the options available so you can maintain your own sense of style. The right hair pieces for gray hair, silver gray hair pieces, clip-on gray hair pieces, or any other hair replacement option can give you just the confidence you may have lost and are desperately seeking.
Doing a bit of research in advance of buying gray hair pieces may save you from regretting your initial choice, as you could potentially have chosen a different option if you had known what is available.
We get it, finding women’s hair pieces for gray hair, may sound quite confusing. If you have no idea where to begin, we are here to help. Below you’ll find our top picks for gray hair pieces, where to find them, tips from users, and much more.
Gray Hair Pieces Reviewed In This Guide
Best Overall: PRETTYSHOP 14″ Ponytail Gray Hair Pieces Extensions⇣ Jump to Review
Best On Amazon: PRETTYSHOP XL Gray Hair Pieces Scrunchy Updo Bridal Hairstyles Scrunchie⇣ Jump to Review
Best Affordable: Dark Gray Hair Pieces Extensions Clip in Curly Wavy⇣ Jump to Review
Best For Wavy Hair: Tousled Updo Curly Wavy Ponytail Gray Hair Pieces⇣ Jump to Review
Best For Straight Hair: Lydell Adjustable Messy Gary Hair Pieces⇣ Jump to Review
How To Choose The Perfect Gray Hair Pieces For You?
Hairpieces are available in all different shapes and sizes in both synthetic and human hair, from low-cost ready-to-wear fringes, hair extensions, and pieces, to custom-made hairpieces to blend a specific area of baldness.
Grey hair has very unique undertones and pigments that can be hard to replicate. Even with professional hair coloring products and tools, it is hard to achieve or duplicate someone’s natural grey pigments.
When it comes to women’s hair pieces for gray hair to cover an area of hair loss you will need to ensure the piece is secure, blends in well with your own hair, and doesn’t cause damage to new growth, so you have the mixed gray hair pieces.
There are many professional wig suppliers who have a good variety of women’s hair pieces for gray hair, to choose from. More commonly, hairpieces to disguise hair thinning and hair loss are now being referred to as hair replacements, hair volumizers, or hair replacement systems.
Some hairpieces are designed to be taken off daily, imagine the gray hair pieces for the top of the head; while others, (e.g. custom-made or hair replacement system) can be secured and worn when sleeping, swimming, or during any other activity.
Hairpieces are attached to the scalp in various ways. Wig clips are often used when attaching to hair. Wig tape or wig glue is commonly used to attach to a bare scalp. And having hairpieces cut and customized to blend in with your own hair is essential for your silver-gray hair pieces.
If you need a hairpiece to cover an area of long-term hair loss it really is worth getting some specialist advice. The wig fitters and hair replacement specialists who can fit and make hairpieces are used to working on both a practical and emotional level with people who have lost their hair due to cancer treatments, medical conditions, and other reasons.
You will need to consider the financial and time commitment required for some hairpieces. For example, some options will mean a regular visit to remove and re-attach hairpieces and trim the ends of the hair.
Types Of Gray Hair Pieces
Synthetic Gray Hair Pieces
The most common grey hair that is used is synthetic grey. What this synthetic grey is made of specifically is Japanese Kanekalon synthetic fibers. With synthetic grey hair, you don’t need to worry about its durability.
It will last a long time, but this doesn’t mean you can wear your men’s toupee for ages or beyond its estimated or general lifespan. This is because other factors come into play such as how much human hair you’re wearing, the type of knotting or ventilation, and the type of base you’re using whether it’s a lace hair system or a poly skin hair system.
Synthetic grey hair is the whitest grey hair. You don’t need to worry about the color fading to yellow. Additionally, synthetic grey hair won’t be affected by UV light rays like human hair does.
Yaki Gray Hair Pieces
Yaki hair is human hair that is texturized the same way as the hair of a yak by means of chemical processing. Many people prefer this type of hair for its texture which is usually long, bushy, shaggy, and thick with zigzag shapes. It’s also a popular choice for those with Afro-American hair texture.
Given its texture, yaki grey hair has a more full and voluminous look compared to other types of hair. This is one of the reasons many prefer to go with Yaki grey hair as it suits their requirements.
It is also the second-purest white hair behind synthetic grey. Yaki grey hair is particularly suited for those who have an Afro-American hair texture as it mimics that type of hair a lot more than other grey hair types.
Human Gray Hair Pieces
As the name suggests, human grey hair is grey hair from real human hair, usually using Chinese Remy or Indian Remy hair. Human hair pieces should be ethically sourced, and the same goes for grey hair which is usually processed to achieve that color.
Human grey hair is hair that is extracted from hair providers, so it’s only to be expected that it will not only look good and natural but also feel soft and natural compared to other types of hair, especially in comparison with synthetic grey.
If you’re one who likes to style your hair, human grey hair is a great choice as you can style, perm, or dye it any way you prefer. It also doesn’t tangle or mat like synthetic hair does which is another great bonus point.
European Gray Hair Pieces
As the name suggests, this is hair extracted by European hair providers and processed to a grey color. This hair is usually thin and soft in addition to being the darkest grey hair option as it is usually silver-grey in color.
European grey hair boasts qualities like being thin and soft while also having a silky texture which can be a big preference for certain hair system wearers.
In addition, it undergoes less processing than Chinese or Indian hair due to its natural blonde, brown or red, and ashy tones, so it tends to look and feel better than regular Remy human hair while also being slightly more durable. All these factors make European grey hair premium and somewhat rare.
Best Gray Hair Pieces List
1. PRETTYSHOP 14″ Ponytail Gray Hair Pieces Extensions
What We Like
What We Don’t Like
- The clip May Not Stay In Place
High-quality heat-resistant synthetic fibers up to 130°C, are washable and feel like real hair.
Your ponytail is voluminous and long in just a few simple steps. Whether for work or a party, your hairpiece is robust, reliable, and adapts to your plans. Secure hold with a butterfly clip.
What Our Testers Say
Great fun to wear – getting older doesn’t mean I have to walk around with a scraggly ponytail anymore. I’m sure everyone will realize it’s not my real hair, but so what, I’m having fun with it and I earned it. It’s a great fit also – the clasp they have it attached to is really sturdy and really does stay put on your head. Great fun.
I ordered the ‘Gray Mix’ and am fortunate that my silver hair is white near my face and dark in the back. This piece is quite dark where near its clip and has some fun white/silver on the tips.
If you have baby fine hair you may not like this product, as it will look very different from your own hair, but mine is medium weight and the gray hair I have is coarser than when it was naturally black.
These gray hair pieces‘ ponytail is attached to a butterfly clip. Tie your hair together into a braid and wrap it around with the clip. The clip securely attaches to your hair and connects you to your new favorite hairstyle.
The first-class synthetic fiber feels like real hair and can be styled at up to 130 °C according to your wishes. Our hair braid with a weight of 120g gives you 14″ long hair.
Put 2 ponytails in my own hair (one higher, one lower) and this gives the clip in the hairpiece a good solid place to grasp onto your hair. Some might find it heavy if worn all evening.
2. PRETTYSHOP XL Gray Hair Pieces Scrunchy Updo Bridal Hairstyles Scrunchie
What We Like
- Messy Bun
- Synthetic hair
What We Don’t Like
- Rubber Band Inside Might Show
Volume is the keyword for these gray hair pieces. These consist of a particularly large number of thick strands of hair that have been styled into lively, bouncing curls.
Roll out the red carpet, because E-style hair ties are very suitable for big appearances in everyday life.
What Our Testers Say
My hair is super fine and has become very very thin as I’ve aged (now 75). So it’s really hard to fix it up to look nice, and it takes too long. Curling irons, hair spray, and bobby pins are usually just too much trouble. And here in Hawaii, the moist air melts a hairdo after a while anyway.
So this little swirly fluff ball is just perfect for a very nice-looking quick fix. I just grab the little hair that I have and pull it to the back of my head, triple twirl this piece around it like you would a rubber band, and today I added a clip-on flower to dress it up a little. But it doesn’t need to look nice.
Since my hair now has a lot of white in it, all the blond shades don’t work for me anymore. This one is almost pure white, and I’ve entwined the few remaining stragglers of my own hair among it to help it blend. I’m very pleased with it.
With this styling all-rounder, you can hold a hair tie hemmed with hair strands in your hands.
Application is as easy as ingenious, all you have to do is tie your hair into a bun and wrap the hairband around it. Thanks to its elasticity, it adapts easily to the fullness of your hair.
Secure your updo with an additional hairband first and then add your gray hair pieces which are attached to an elastic hairband.
3. Dark Gray Hair Pieces Extensions Clip in Curly Wavy
What We Like
- Full Hair
- Dark Gray
- Heat Resistant
What We Don’t Like
These dark gray hair pieces are 100% Japan Heat Resistant Synthetic Fiber, which means these can be ironed between 300℉-350℉.
For most classic hair extensions, clip-in hair extensions are easier to put on and take off. The length is Approx 20 inches.
What Our Testers Say
I’ve had some health issues which caused my hair to break off to shoulder length. I had not had it cut other than trims since childhood, so it had been down almost to my waist prior. My self-esteem and self-image were taking a beating, so I decided to try extensions.
I purchased these inexpensive extensions as testers. I’ve never had extensions before so I didn’t want to spend much until I tried them out.
These are so great though I won’t need to upgrade!
They are easy to put in, stayed all day, look AMAZING, and the dark Gray (curly)matched my hair color perfectly! I had several compliments on my hair and no one could tell it was extensions!
I did have a bit of trouble with tangling. What worked best to detangle them for me was water, spray dry conditioner, and gentle finger combing. It should be noted that it was a windy day so that certainly contributed.
All in all, I’m in love with these and I am going to buy one or two more sets to have on hand when this set needs replaced!
The women’s hair pieces for gray hair are produced by a reputable brand. SARLA includes edgy and elegant extensions, ponytails, bangs, wigs, and accessories, all designed to make changing your hairstyle as easy as changing your mind.
All silver gray hair pieces are made from 100% Japanese High-Temperature Fiber, which makes them look and feel like Real Human Hair. Because it is designed to be easy and comfortable to use, you can easily wear it without any extra help.
This product is washable and can be permed. Also, you can restyle it into your favorite hairstyle.
Unlike your hair, the hair extension may get tangled without nutrition, use detangle spray, or get a spray bottle and put some conditioner in it, then fill it up with water. If no conditioner, just spray some water, it will make the hair extensions not very dry and prevent getting tangled to some extent.
How To Use Hair Extensions Clip in Curly Wavy Gray Hair Pieces
- Firstly just above the nape of the neck with weft NO.1 and work your way upwards
- Next clip weft 4L and 5L into the left side of your hair
- Finally, clip weft 6R and 7R into the right side of your hair
4. Tousled Updo Curly Wavy Ponytail Gray Hair Pieces
What We Like
- Synthetic Fiber
- Silver Gray
What We Don’t Like
- Elastic Rubber Band May Show
The messy hair bun hair extension adds volume, fullness, and lift to your normal hair. You can use these gray hair pieces to create a hair bun, ponytail, half hair bun, up-do, braided, or side ponytail.
What Our Testers Say
I couldn’t believe how well the color matched my own hair and how real it looked. So easy and quick to look good. I loved it so much I ordered a second pack so I always have great-looking hair!! I’m in love with the ease with which I can do my hair now.
The messy bun is such a versatile style, you can dress it up or down and it always looks great. I have thinner hair towards the bottom because of a haircut I wanted about a year ago.
My hair grows slowly so I never chop it off even though I want to sometimes. When I put my hair in a messy bun it doesn’t look great because of the layered, thin bottom style I chose so this allows me to fill out my bun quickly and it looks great every time.
The size is easily adjustable, and the elastic hair tie on the hair extension can be adjusted for fine or thin hair. You easily put the hair bun extension into your hair like a hair scrunchie.
The messy bun hairpiece is perfect for all occasions. You can wear the hairpiece casually or informal settings such as parties, proms, or weddings.
For those with shoulder-length hair, your ponytail may be skinny and funny looking. Wearing these gray hair pieces your hair will look much bigger.
5. Lydell Adjustable Messy Gary Hair Pieces
What We Like
- Straight Hair
- Silver Gray
- Ponytail Hair Extensions
What We Don’t Like
- Design May Not Be Suitable For All Occasions
Messy ponytail jaw claw hair extensions are flexible and adjustable styles, all you need to do is to bend three bendable metals that are attached to the jaw claw to create multiple styles.
It features imported Premium Quality Synthetic Hair Fiber, that is super soft and natural. All Three Bendable Metals are Straight; To Achieve the Same Style illustrated in the pictures, simply bend all three metals upward.
What Our Testers Say
I love this gray hairpiece. The clip is sturdy and, most importantly, they nailed the color for silver-gray hair. I paired it with a bandana to hide my short hair in the back (my hair is cut in a stacked, one-length bob). Great for days when I want a ”do” without putting in the time to create one out of my real hair.
I think my favorite thing about this product is that it allows me to sport a long hair look while I’m still growing out my silver/gray hair. I would encourage anyone who is currently growing out their silver hair to consider trying this playful hairpiece. I’m enjoying changing up my look.
Great product. Nobody can tell it’s not my actual hair.
These gray hair pieces are also reusable, washable, and will keep style by using a little shampoo washed in cold water.
You adjust the wires and hair piece by bending the wires and actually wire cutting off what you don’t need. With different hair types, you need different adjustments.
Gray Hair Pieces Buying Guide
What is A Gray Hair Piece?
Hairpieces are the most popular method of hair replacement, but the cost and appearance of any given hairpiece vary widely based on the materials used and the level of craftsmanship in their creation.
Gray hair pieces or hair systems, toupees, strand-by-strand insertion systems, hairpieces, etc., are all terms used to market the same product. These are all hair prostheses constructed in a similar fashion using similar materials, many of which come from the same few manufacturers.
How Does A Gray Hair Piece Work?
Gray hair pieces, like any other, are designed to cover a certain area of the head, rather than to provide full coverage. They are primarily used for adding extra volume to thinning hair, as well as for covering trouble spots
Features To Look For In Gray Hair Pieces
Hair System Base
Mesh fabric: Mesh fabrics are typically made of polyester or nylon and are usually used to create the fine hairline of a good product. In some cases, they are used throughout the entire system, which provides a natural, life-like appearance, but is impractical for long-term use.
Polymers: Polymers are made of either silicone or polyurethane and are used to create a material that mimics the appearance of the skin or scalp. The more durable systems use this material.
The hairs of less expensive hairpieces may be made either of moderate quality human hair, animal hair, or artificial fibers.
The most expensive and mid-priced hairpieces are made from European hair that once grew naturally in a wide variety of colors, textures, densities, and levels of curl, wave, or straightness.
When you go shopping for gray hair pieces, you need to be very specific. You don’t want to add blonde curls to gray hair.
Always, compare the extensions’ color to your natural one until you find a match. It’s better to do that during the day, though. Daylight will reveal all the shades, letting you make a perfect choice.
The real goal when choosing gray hair pieces is to make sure they perfectly blend with your natural hair. That includes matching the texture, as well. Each type of real hair extension is suitable for several hair textures.
For example, Chinese hair fits hair with medium density, while Russian hair usually has a better denier. In any case, if you apply extensions that don’t follow the texture of your real hair, you risk looking messy despite all the effort.
Hair density is essentially how many strands of hair you have per square centimeter of your scalp. The more strands of hair you have, the higher your hair density.
As with natural hair, the older you get, the less dense your hair becomes. So if you’re a 25-year-old male using a hairpiece with a hair density of 120%, the chances are your hair density at 35 will be closer to 110%. For women, on the other hand, barring any hair loss conditions, their hair density will always remain at medium or 120%.
Lenght & Occasion
Not every length suits every person. So, while choosing your gray hair pieces sort your priorities, first. Your comfort plays the main role here.
If you prefer having short hair, don’t buy very long extensions, and vice versa. It’s best to have a clear picture of what you want your hair to look like and abide by it when picking.
Aside from this, make sure you imagine where and when you want to wear the extensions. They’ll be on for quite some time, so have all the occasions in mind.
- Comb Attachment: Gray hair pieces with a comb attachment has one downward-facing comb which fits snuggly into your hair when tied up. This type of attachment blends seamlessly into your natural locks, instantly creating a stunning new look.
- Interlocking Combs: An interlocking comb system usually features two combs that fit together securely thanks to their slightly offset rows of teeth. These combs are sewn into the base of the hairpiece so that they are 100% undetectable. To attach an interlocking comb hair piece to your head, simply tie your hair into a ponytail or bun and push the combs together until they lock into place.
- Claw, Banana, Pressure, and Crocodile Clips: Clips help you to effortlessly and securely fasten your chosen hairpiece or a braided hairpiece to your head. To use these hairpiece attachments, open the clips and close them onto your hair once you have them in position.
- Drawstring Attachment: Eliminate the bulk of combs and clips by attaching your hairpiece using a drawstring. This attachment method is incredibly simple, just tie up your hair, secure the pouch over your hair and pull the drawstring to tighten.
- Scrunchies/Wrap-Around Attachment: The easiest to secure and the most cost-effective, scrunchies or wrap-around hairpiece attachment acts like a bobble. So, pop your hair into a ponytail or a bun and wrap the hairpiece around or over your natural hair for a glamorous style.
Common Questions About Gray Hair Pieces
What are the different types of hairpieces?
- Full Wigs: Wigs are probably the most well-known type of hair pieces, and they have come in and gone out of style periodically throughout history. At various times over the years, wigs have been a popular choice for men as well as for women. Most wigs are made of either real or synthetic human hair and cover the entire head. Wigs typically have a netted material that the hair is sewn into that may make it easy to pin down so it stays in place. Full wigs are considered a good choice for anyone, particularly women, who have lost most of their hair.
- Toupees: Toupees are hair pieces typically worn by men who are suffering from male pattern baldness. This problem occurs for many men as they start to get older, although it occasionally happens to younger men as well. Toupees are useful for hiding male pattern baldness, particularly if the baldness is primarily on top of the head and there is still plenty of hair left on the sides. They are similar to wigs, but are smaller and are usually made to cover only the top of the head. Toupees can be purchased made from either synthetic or real human hair.
- Fringe: Fake fringes are a very flexible and low-cost option that can be secured into a hat, cap, or headscarf. They are a fantastic alternative to wearing a wig on a hot day or when wearing a wig is not an option. They can be sewn onto or attached using wig tape or double-sided Velcro tape. Fringes are available in synthetic and human hair.
- Hair Replacement System: A hair replacement system is a relatively new term that describes a more permanent solution for long-term hair loss and hair thinning, in that the system can be worn for long periods of time and unlike a wig does not have to be taken off to shower, swim or sleep. In other words, you can wear a system as if it were your own hair. A hair replacement system may be in the form of a specialist custom-made hairpiece, a specialist extension system, or a full system that is glued or attached to your scalp. It is very important to ensure that these systems are relevant and suitable for you depending on the stage of hair loss and your needs.
- Hair Extensions: Hair extensions are extremely popular for people who want to change the way they look, although they may occasionally be used by people who are losing their hair. There are many different types of hair extensions. Some types clip onto the head, which means they can be easily removed. Other types, such as hair bonding and hair weaving, are more permanent. These types of hair extensions might be a better choice for a person who is very active because they may reduce the chances of the hair coming out on its own.
- Bonded: Some people also opt to have individual hairs glued to their natural strands to create a more natural-looking appearance of longer hair, which is often referred to as hair bonding. These extensions consist of tiny strands of virgin (unprocessed) human hair. Unlike hair extensions that are sewn or taped to the hair, these extensions contain a keratin bond. When the keratin protein is heated it melts so that the extensions are affixed to your own hair.
- Weave: A human hair weave is a hair extension made from 100 percent human hair rather than horsehair or synthetic hair. These weaves are sewn, braided, or glued into a person’s own hair to give the appearance of having long hair.
Why do you need gray hair pieces?
There’s a big difference between choosing gray hairpieces strictly for their style versus more of a functionality aspect. If you are suffering from hair loss or thinning hair, this will make a big difference in the exact type of hairpiece you should look for.
Hairpieces represent a much better option over a wig in that hairpieces are available in a number of different styles that make it easy to supplement your own natural hair. You can buy them in different thicknesses, styles, and shapes or patterns to perfectly match the hair you currently have.
If you have partial hair loss, balding, or thinning hair, you don’t need a full-hair wig. Instead, you can elect to get a hairpiece to address partial hair loss that exists only on a certain area of your head, providing a less expensive and better-suited alternative.
One of the most popular types of hairpieces for partial hair or thinning hair is a clip-in hairpiece. Depending on where you are experiencing hair loss or thinning hair, you can select from hairpiece bangs and hairpiece fringe to cover up the front section of your head and scalp.
You can also select from top pieces with a small base for partial top coverage, for example, if you still have ample hair on the sides of your head.
What is the difference between a wig and a hair piece?
In almost all cases a wig covers the entire scalp while a hairpiece does not. A hairpiece can cover part of the scalp or may be added in with the existing hair to make the hair look fuller or longer or to create highlights within the hair. Just as wigs come in dozens of varieties and styles, so do hair pieces.
How long can a hair piece stay on?
Fine mono hairpieces are made out of more durable base material and you can, therefore, wear them anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks. After the appropriate time has passed, it is essential that you remove the hairpiece and clean up both your scalp and the hair system.
How to detangle gray hair pieces?
- Gently comb with a professional wig comb or wide gear comb from the knotted or kinked area
- Use a wig conditioner or detangler to prevent getting tangled
- DIY a detangler, prepare a spray bottle and put some conditioner in it, then fill it up with water
- It is better to braid it or make a bun to avoid the static between synthetic with clothes if wearing it all the day
Enjoy Your New Gray Hair Pieces
Regain lost confidence and fight hair loss with women’s hair pieces for gray hair. Remember, the best gray hair pieces are those chosen according to your needs, and experience. We hope this guide could help you a little bit in choosing your newly gray hair pieces.
Now that you’ve learned about our top picks for gray hair pieces you can make an informed choice and see what’s best for your specific hair needs.
Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or comments. We are always happy to hear from you.
Disclosure: The Hair Products recommended in this article are our top favorites because they have a great combination of quality, features, and affordability. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases made through the links as a way to support this site. If you buy a qualifying product, you’re not charged anything extra, but I’ll get a small commission to help pay for my expenses. I hope you find our advice helpful and discover the Best Hair Products for your needs on this list.