Do you struggle with keeping your low porosity strands moisturized? We hear you. One of the best ways to maintain this type of hair moisturized is the use of hair oils for low porosity hair. If this is a foreign language for you, you have come to the right place as we’ll be sharing with you the best oils for low porosity hair and how to use oils for low porosity hair.
When you have low porosity you are aware that your hair’s structure is such that it does not easily let moisture get absorbed into it. As a direct consequence, low porosity hair lacks moisture and therefore it becomes dry pretty easily. If you use hair care products, they tend to stay on the surface of your hair rather than being absorbed. This makes hair care treatments less effective.
However, this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t miss out on the benefits of good oils for low porosity hair. All the contrary, the right oils can turn your dry mane into fabulous, full of life-looking tresses. Oils for low porosity hair, however, need not be just any kind of hair oil, as you can see low porosity hair needs special care, and therefore special hair products.
The best oils for low porosity hair will penetrate into the hair shaft and keep the hair moisturized. If you are at a loss on what are good oils for low porosity hair and how can you incorporate them into your hair care regime, stick around and learn all about it in this guide to use oils for low porosity hair.
Oils For Low Porosity Hair Benefits
- Lighter oils are better for low porosity hair because they don’t block the cuticles, they penetrate into the hair and improve hair health.
- Low porosity hair needs oil to help you seal in the moisture after applying your leave-in products.
- In order to moisturize low porosity hair effectively, you need to raise the cuticle so products can work and then seal with lightweight oil.
- Lightweight oils for low porosity hair are formulated to help you style your hair without weighing it down.
Best Oils For Low Porosity Hair
- Argan: Argan oil is a really great oil. Is it most popularly known for its wonderful moisturizing properties. Argan oil is extremely effective at penetrating your hair because it is so lightweight, which makes it perfect for low porosity hair.
- Sweet Almond Oil: Sweet Almond oil is another great oil that many people like. Sweet almond oil is an oil of choice because it gets absorbed into your hair quickly and has excellent moisturizing properties. Sweet almond oils contain vitamins such as vitamin E. Vitamin E has moisturizing properties and promotes healthy growth in your hair.
- Grapeseed Oil: Grapeseed oil is perfect for low porosity hair because it contains vitamin A which has moisturizing properties and promotes healthy growth in your hair. Grapeseed oil also contains Vitamin E which again promotes healthy growth in your hair shafts. It’s also great for helping to prevent hair breakage too.
- Baobab Oil: Baobab oil comes from a tree that is found in South Africa. The oil from this tree has been proven to help increase the elasticity levels in your hair which helps with less breakage and more manageable hair.
- Fractionated Coconut Oil: Because it does not contain fatty acids your hair strand will absorb the oil quickly and efficiently. This means that it is a great addition to your low porosity hair care routine.
- Jojoba Oil: This oil is closest to your own hair’s natural sebum. Aside from this jojoba oil has many benefits such as it helps to control dandruff. It also has antibacterial properties which help prevent scalp conditions that cause itchiness and flaking.
- Pomegranate Oil: Pomegranate oil has many powerful antioxidants which fight free radicals that break down collagen and elastin in your hair. Collagen and elastin are both vital for maintaining the elasticity of your hair strands. When the levels drop, this leads to more fragile hair which in return results in breakage.
- Camellia Oil: Camellia oil is an antioxidant meaning that if you have dry hair it can help to lock in moisture and help to get rid of dryness. Camellia oil is high in vitamin E which is good for your scalp. It is also great when it comes to promoting hair growth and cell regeneration.
- Avocado Oil: Avocado oil is rich in vitamins E and B which help to strengthen even the weakest strands of hair. It will also help to keep split ends at bay so you have smooth shiny, healthy hair.
Moisturising Vs. Sealing Oils For Low Porosity Hair
A moisturizing oil will help your hair to retain moisture and be soft. Whereas a sealing oil will help to lock in the moisture and seal it so moisture doesn’t escape.
If you’re having trouble retaining moisture then you need a moisturizing oil. If you need to lock in moisture then you need a sealing oil.
Oils For Low Porosity Hair Step By Step Guide
Step 1 Apply light oils
Try your favorite oils for low porosity hair either a couple of hours before you wash your hair or for around 30 minutes and then wash your hair thoroughly.
We recommend NOW Solutions, Organic Jojoba Oil. Certified organic jojoba oil is derived from the seed of the jojoba shrub and is one of the most popular cosmetic oils available today.
Its high stability, invigorating scent, and cosmetic versatility make it ideal for all skin and hair types, and it is most commonly used to promote softer hair and skin. It is expeller pressed, hexane free, paraben free, and vegan.
Jojoba oil contains many nutritional compounds, including long-chain essential fatty acids and fatty alcohols.
How to use NOW Solutions, Organic Jojoba Oil:
- For deep hair-conditioning treatment, work a quarter-size amount into wet hair
- Shampoo after 5-10 minutes
Step 2 Put on a shower cap
A shower cap traps your body heat, which can help your tightly closed cuticles open up and allow more of the rice proteins to penetrate your strands.
Step 3 Rinse
Wash hair thoroughly using warm water from the tap. You’ll probably notice immediately how strong and thick your hair feels.
Step 4 Shampoo
Low porosity hair is usually a victim of buildup from different products. Therefore, use a clarifying shampoo to remove the buildup.
You can try Neutrogena Anti-Residue Clarifying Shampoo. Neutrogena anti-residue clarifying shampoo helps remove up to 90% of heavy, dulling residue caused by shampoos, conditioners, and styling products.
This non-irritating clarifying shampoo gently cleanses your hair and helps boost volume by instantly rinsing away build-up. Use our anti-residue shampoo only once a week to see your favorite daily shampoo work even better, and help stop bad hair days.
The weekly clarifying shampoo features a gentle and mild formula that is recommended for all hair types and is gentle enough even for color-treated hair.
How to use Neutrogena Anti-Residue Clarifying Shampoo:
- Wet hair thoroughly
- Massage shampoo into the hair
- Lather and rinse well. Repeat if necessary
Step 5 Deep Condition
For low porosity hair, weekly deep-conditioning treatment is a must. Use a steamer, heat cap, or hooded dryer when conditioning your hair.
We love SheaMoisture Intensive Hydration Hair Mask, it is perfect for dry and damaged hair. It contains Manuka honey and Mafura oil which leave your hair smoother, healthier, and frizz-free.
This intensive hydration hair mask is formulated with no sulfates, no parabens, no phthalates, no mineral oil, no animal testing, and no petrolatum.
This deep conditioning hair treatment blended with Fair Trade Shea Butter also contains antioxidant-rich African Rock Fig to restore and lock in moisture while deeply conditioning.
How to use SheaMoisture Intensive Hydration Hair Mask:
- Section clean, wet hair
- Apply deep hair conditioner generously
- Use a wide tooth comb to distribute the hair masque evenly from root to ends
- Leave in for 5 minutes. Rinse
Step 6 Tone down conditioner
Water down your conditioner and work it throughout your hair so that it penetrates every hair strand.
Oils For Low Porosity Hair Additional Tips
- Use a satin pillowcase, unlike cotton, it won’t strip away your hair’s moisture.
- After moisturizing your hair, cover it with a plastic cap or hair turban and leave it covered overnight. The aim of this process is to create a humid setting with sufficient moisture for your hair to absorb.
- Your natural hair needs moisture and the best way to keep it moisturized is by applying water to it. And since your hair needs to be hydrated at all times, it’s best to stick to styling products that are water-based.
Common Question About Oils For Low Porosity Hair
Should I put oil on low porosity hair?
Lighter oils are better for low porosity hair because they don’t block the cuticles, they penetrate into the hair and improve hair health. The best oils for low porosity hair are those that can easily penetrate your hair so they can improve health.
How do you apply oil to low porosity hair?
Hair oils for low porosity hair will leave your hair moisturized and revitalized. Heat the oil and massage it into your hair and scalp. Sit under a dryer or wrap your hair in a towel/plastic cap. Leave it in for as long as possible.
What oils are good for low porosity hair?
If you have low porosity hair, you will notice that most hair products will rest on your hair but do not get absorbed.
Certain oils like jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, argan oil, sweet almond oil, sesame oil, and baobab oil are the best oils for low porosity hair. You need to choose oils that penetrate the hair the best or those that are best absorbed by the hair.
How often should you oil low porosity hair?
Leaving oil on your hair every day for too long can produce product build-up on your scalp. It will also clog and block your pores, draw more dirt, and store dandruff.
Oiling your hair every day suggests that you have to wash it with shampoo every day, which isn’t ideal. Oiling every other consecutive day would suffice, but remember to do deep hair conditioning every week.
Why you should avoid heavy oils for low porosity hair?
A heavy oil for low porosity hair, such as olive oil, castor oil, coconut oil, and similar, will only end up sitting on your hair and causing buildup instead of moisture. That’s because the hair won’t be able to fully absorb the oil in the first place.
Oils For Low Porosity Hair Video Tutorial
Products Mentioned In This Article
- NOW Solutions, Organic Jojoba Oil
- Neutrogena Anti-Residue Clarifying Shampoo
- SheaMoisture Intensive Hydration Hair Mask
Disclosure: The Hair Products recommended in this article are our top favorites because they have a great combination of quality, features, and affordability. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases made through the links as a way to support this site. If you buy a qualifying product, you’re not charged anything extra, but I’ll get a small commission to help pay for my expenses. I hope you find our advice helpful and discover the Best Hair Products for your needs on this list.