So you are pretty ecstatic about your first-ever wig, and now you are left with caring for it. In order to make the most of your wig, you are probably thinking about how to straighten wigs, which is a totally valid question, one that every wig owner should know. The answer really depends on the kind of wig you have. Regardless of the type, today we’ll be sharing with you everything you need to know about how to straighten wigs the right way.
Both human hair and synthetic wigs have their own set of benefits, and when choosing a wig you should always keep in mind that the best option for you isn’t always the best for another person. For example, synthetic wigs are affordable, and easy to care for. That said you ought to know that heat styling and synthetic hair do not go together.
While wigs are a fantastic way to look polished, pulled together, and professional; they help you look your best whether at events, networking, or parties; a synthetic wig is not a good option if you are thinking about how to flat iron a wig. Nevertheless, if you do have a synthetic wig, there are ways to straighten a synthetic wig.
So if you have a wig at home, learning how to straighten wigs is a must, it will allow you to wear multiple hairstyles and look your best at all times. If you can relate, you are in the right place as we’ll be sharing with you what you need to know about how to flat iron a wig, how to straighten a wig without heat, and more.
Products Reviewed In This Article
Best Leave-In Conditioner: Awesome Human Hair Wig Leave-In Conditioning Spray⇣ Jump to Review
Best Hair Straightener: Conair Double Ceramic Flat Iron⇣ Jump to Review
Best Blow Dryer: Revlon Infrared Hair Dryer⇣ Jump to Review
Best Wig Comb: 9 Pieces Wig Combs Set⇣ Jump to Review
Best Hair Spray: SheaMoisture 2in1 Conditioner and Detangler⇣ Jump to Review
Wigs Common Types
Capless Wigs: Capless wigs, also called wefted, open-cap, or open-weft wigs, are basic wigs that feature machine-sewn wefts (strips of attached hair fibers) attached to a stretchy wig cap.
Lace wigs: Lace wigs are one of the most common choices of all the different wig types. These wigs feature a mesh “lace” base that is sheer to help them adapt to the color of your scalp when you wear it.
Combination wigs: This type features machine-sewn wefts (sections or strips of wig hair fibers) in combination with strategically-placed hand-tied hair fibers for a more affordable alternative to 100% hand-tied wigs.
Monofilament wigs: These are similar to lace wigs, but there are some key differences. In monofilament wigs, every individual hair fiber is tied to the wig base to mimic the way hair naturally grows from the scalp.
Polyurethane wigs: Are also known as poly, thin skin, or PU skin wigs, and are wigs with a polyurethane “scalp” base that is made to look like a natural scalp with hair growing through.
Human Vs. Synthetic Hair
Human Hair Wigs
- Human Hair: This hair type gives the most natural look and feels, along with the most styling versatility. This type of hair also requires more styling and care.
- Virgin Hair: This is the highest quality human hair available. This hair is all from a single donor. This hair hasn’t been dyed, permed, or bleached. This helps cut down on tangles and can last over a year with proper care.
Synthetic Hair Wigs
- Synthetic Hair: Higher quality synthetic hair offers a look and feels similar to human hair, but has limited styling versatility. Requires little maintenance and can generally be worn as soon as it’s unpackaged. Less durable than human hair and will last 4-6 months with proper care.
- Heat-Friendly Synthetic Hair: This type offers more styling versatility due to heat-friendly construction. Can be more challenging to style than a human hair. Less durable than traditional synthetic hair that can last 2-3 months with proper care.
How To Straighten Wigs Steps (Human Hair)
When it comes to straightening a human hair wig you can treat it much the same as you would any human hair, which means you can follow regular methods.
Step 1 Apply Hair Spray: Awesome Human Hair Wig Leave-In Conditioning Spray
Remember to apply heat defense spray before clipping your wig into sections.
We recommend Awesome Human Hair Wig Leave-In Conditioning Spray. The human hair wig care solution conditioning spray contains coconut oil to keep your hair/wigs looking healthy and shiny.
Additionally, it has a high effect on reducing damaged strands. It is an excellent wig spray that keeps promoting your hair/wigs volume, silkiness, body, and shine
Use Awesome Human Hair Wig Leave-in Conditioning Spray to prolong the life of your wig, detangle hair, prevent dryness, provide a fresh feeling, and promote silkiness, shine, body, and volume.
How to use Awesome Human Hair Wig Leave-In Conditioning Spray:
- After Using Shampoo, place the towel-dried wig on the styling foam head
- Apply Awesome Human Hair Wig Leave-in Conditioner and gently comb through the wig using your fingers or big tooth comb
Step 2 Use your heating tool of choice: Conair Double Ceramic Flat Iron
Then use your hair straighteners of choice to gently glide through the hair, straightening one section at a time.
A similar method is often used by hairdressers. After you have washed your wig or when it has been wetted, blow-dry until it is 90% dry.
Then clip it into sections and use a round brush and hairdryer to straighten the hair. You can even curve the hair inwards slightly for an extra sleek finish.
The Conair Double Ceramic Flat Iron has extra long floating plates for faster styling with less damage, 5 heat settings including a high heat setting of 410°F, and uniform heat recovery for consistent styling.
This flat iron features 1-inch double ceramic coated plates. Straighten hair or create loose, beachy waves. The higher ceramic content delivers gentle, even heat and frizz-free shine.
Double Ceramic technology provides a higher ceramic content for even heat that’s gentle on hair, with anti-frizz control for silky smooth styles.
Step 3 Blow Dry Straight: Revlon Infrared Hair Dryer
Again, be careful to keep the heat setting low and use a round brush to gently pull any waves or kinks out of the wig while blow-drying. This is most effective if the wig is clipped into smaller sections to work with.
The Revlon Infrared Hair Dryer is great for all hair types. It penetrates the cortex of hair heating it from the inside out. Maintains natural moisture balance to avoid over-drying.
Helps reduce heat damage from over-styling with even heat distribution for smooth and shiny results.
Maintain neutral charge on hair’s surface, leaving it looking conditioned and smooth while helping reduce frizz and static for healthy, shiny hair.
How To Straighten Wigs Steps (Synthetic Hair)
How to straighten a synthetic wig: Bathing Method
Step 1 Remove Tangles: 9 Pieces Wig Combs Set
Use a wig comb to remove any knots and tangles, while your wig is on a wig stand.
This 9 Pieces Wig Combs Set, has everything you need. This hair comb set features various styles and easily opens the knotted hair without pulling the hair to cause damage.
Make your wig look more supple, realistic, and smooth, and ensure your comfortable wearing experience.
The airbag comb and thin handle comb feature a looped nylon bristles design that does not have a tip of any kind, which allows the bristles to never get snagged or get caught on tangled hair, adding another layer of protection for your fragile hair or wig.
It is suitable for wigs of natural human hair, animal fiber, or synthetic hair, ideal for all of these hair types, works great on wet, dry, long, short, thick, curly, and detangler hair, and can be applied as a hair styling tool for salon, barbershop and more.
Step 2 Warm water bath
After you have brushed your wig while dry, gently place it in the sink or bath and boil a pan of water to between 160 and 180 degrees
Pour the water over the wig but be careful not to brush it while wet as this can cause damage. Repeat this step between 3-5 times.
Step 3 Use Hair Spray: SheaMoisture 2in1 Conditioner and Detangler
Apply some spray or wig conditioner. Gently comb through the wig to remove any tangles. Allow the wig to air-dry straight.
The SheaMoisture 2in1 Conditioner and Detangler, is a paraben-free conditioner, leave-in hair conditioner, and leave-in conditioner Spray for wigs and Weave.
It is enriched with Tea Tree oil, borage seed oil, and Aloe Vera this detangling conditioner and cruelty-free conditioner is a salon conditioner that can be used to refresh dull, matted hair.
This leave-in conditioner for wig and Weave helps moisturize, detangle strands, reduce frizz and fly away with this daily conditioner, phthalate-free conditioner, and conditioner that does it all.
How to use SheaMoisture 2in1 Conditioner and Detangler
- Spray leave-in hair conditioner and detangling conditioner directly onto the wig or weave
- Blow or air dry and style as usual.
How to straighten a synthetic wig: Steaming Method
Step 1 Untangle the wig
Using a wig brush remove any tangles that may be in your wig. While you’re doing this, turn your handheld steamer on so that it can heat up.
Step 2 Steam
Either use steam from an enclosed shower room, gently brush waves out of the wig or use a steamer on a low heat setting.
Make sure you don’t hold the steamer too close to the wig or hold the steamer in one place too long; this will damage the fibers of the wig.
Go over each section with the steamer. Repeat at least three times, or until the wig is completely straight. Once you’re done, allow the wig to air dry.
Step 3 Finish with hair spray
When it is dry, apply a little bit of spray, comb it through and you’re all done.
How To Straighten Wigs Additional Tips
- Buy a straight wig. If you like to wear your hair in different ways, consider buying two wigs: a straight wig, and a wavy or curly wig. It is fairly easy to find wigs with similar styles, lengths, and colors, but different textures.
- If buying two wigs isn’t an option but you like to wear your hair both straight and curly, we recommend buying a straight wig rather than a curly wig. Curling a straight wig without causing damage is much easier and safer than straightening a curly wig.
Common Question About How To Straighten Wigs
Can I straighten a wig?
If your wig is made of human hair or is a heat-resistant synthetic wig, you can straighten it with a flat iron.
Why should you straighten the wig?
The benefits of learning how to straighten wigs hair include:
- Extra Shine
- Lessened appearance of frizz
- A temporary alternative to natural curls
- Longer appearance than when left un-straightened
How to straighten wigs without heat?
To straighten a wig safely or without heat, brush your wig while dry and gently place it in the sink or bath and boil a pan of water to between 160 and 180 degrees. Pour the water over the wig but be careful not to brush it while wet as this can cause damage. Allow the wig to air-dry straight.
How to flat iron a wig?
The most important thing to keep in mind is to set your flat iron or heating tool on a low setting. Turn your flat iron to low or medium heat and let it come up to temperature.
Then, hold the piece of hair at one end and run the flat iron down the hair from about the middle to the ends. If the hair frizzes or melts, it’s not heat-safe and you should not use a flat iron on the wig.
Can I straighten a synthetic wig with a flat iron?
While there’s no problem with human hair or heat-resistant synthetic wigs, for most synthetic wigs, you’ll need a gentler method, like using a hair dryer or a steamer for medium to high-quality wigs, or even just hot water for cheaper wigs.
Because synthetic hair is made of a type of plastic, applying heat with a curling iron, hair straightener, or blow dryer will burn, singe, or even melt the hair (unless you have a heat-friendly synthetic wig).
Straightening a synthetic wig with a hair straightener will cause irreversible damage to the hair fibers.
What are the benefits of synthetic wigs?
- Easy Care. Because synthetic wigs have something called “style retention,” they never have to be styled. You simply wash, dry, and then shake them out, and the wig will return to its initial style.
- Style Memory. Synthetic wigs hold their style regardless of the weather.
- Versatile. You can try out various colors and styles without the need to see a hairstylist by purchasing multiple synthetic wigs. You can choose from an array of natural colors as well.
- Natural Looking. If purchasing a high-quality synthetic wig, it is very difficult to tell the difference between a synthetic wig and one made from real human hair.
- Ready to Wear. Synthetic wigs come pre-styled and ready to wear.
How To Straighten Wigs Video Tutorial
Products Mentioned In This Article
- Awesome Human Hair Wig Leave-In Conditioning Spray
- Conair Double Ceramic Flat Iron
- Revlon Infrared Hair Dryer
- 9 Pieces Wig Combs Set
- SheaMoisture 2in1 Conditioner and Detangler
Disclosure: The Hair Products recommended in this article are our top favorites because they have a great combination of quality, features, and affordability. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases made through the links as a way to support this site. If you buy a qualifying product, you’re not charged anything extra, but I’ll get a small commission to help pay for my expenses. I hope you find our advice helpful and discover the Best Hair Products for your needs on this list.