Do you struggle with achieving big, bouncy hair? You are not alone, one of the most common issues women faced when straightening hair, is precisely obtaining the desired voluminous mane.
Luckily we are here to tell you that straightened hair with volume is totally possible. If you stick with us, you’ll learn how to add volume when straightening hair.
Long gone are the days of extremely flat and straight hair, nowadays most women are looking to obtain hair that looks volumized, gorgeous, and sexy; and the last thing you want is limp and lifeless hair. However, one of the biggest challenges when it comes to hair styling is the lack of volume.
But fear not, you too can have big, bouncy hair, you just need to follow a few simple tips and tricks, and needless to say, you need the right products. Products that can set a proper basis and help you achieve the desired look.
So, if you’ve ever wondered, how to give your hair volume with a straightener but failed miserably, this is your lucky day.
If you’ve been searching desperately for products and methods on how to volumize straightened hair, continue reading as we’ll be sharing with you and letting you in on some key pieces of advice and the exact steps you need to learn to finally answer the question, how to add volume when straightening hair.
Products Reviewed In This Article
Best Hair Iron: Voloom Petite 1-Inch Professional Volumizing Hair Iron⇣ Jump to Review
Best Styling Cream: John Frieda Frizz Ease Secret Weapon Touch-Up Crème⇣ Jump to Review
Best Hair Spray: SexyHair Big Spray & Play⇣ Jump to Review
Best Hair Serum: Ovation Hair Pure Volume⇣ Jump to Review
Best Root Lift Spray: BOLDIFY Dry Texture Spray⇣ Jump to Review
How to add volume when straightening hair Steps
Step 1 Use Heat Protectant
Whenever straightened hair with volume is the goal, you first need to start with a heat protectant and thought is not going to add volume to your hair; it does play an important role.
Heat protectants will keep your hair from becoming brittle and dry, which contributes to greater volume later on in the process.
Step 2 Pull it into a Bun
For this next step, you’ll want to pull the top half of your hair, into a bun.
You’re going to need to straighten your hair in three different layers, at least, but if you have very thick hair, you’ll probably have to separate it into, even more, thinner sections.
Step 3 Start Small: Voloom Petite 1-Inch Professional Volumizing Hair Iron
The next thing you’ll want to do is start with a small section of hair near your hairline. Taking a 1 to 2-inch section, clamp your iron as close as you can without burning your scalp.
If you are working with extremely fine hair you need a special type of straightener. We recommend Voloom Petite 1-Inch Professional Volumizing Hair Iron.
The VOLOOM iron is designed specifically to give you lasting hair volume, so you can extend the amount of time between shampoos and colorings. With fewer colorings and shampoos, your hair will start to become even healthier.
Ceramic plates paired with a patented checkerboard design work the under layers of your hair to create a hidden volumizing structure or “volume pockets” that lift the top layers up and away from the scalp, creating a fuller, more voluminous look.
The VOLOOM iron is a hair volumizer that eliminates the need for costly blowouts and hair stylings products such as volumizing sprays, gels, and mousses that weigh hair down.
How to use Voloom Petite 1-Inch Professional Volumizing Hair Iron:
- Part your hair normally and then section off the top layer that you would like to stay smooth. Clip this layer to the other side.
- Section off another layer, underneath the upper smooth layer, hold the under-layer straight up from the head, and clamp VOLOOM for one to two seconds near the scalp and release.
- Repeat the clamp and release technique two or three times, moving down the hair shaft. Repeat steps 1 and 2 on the other side.
Step 4 Pull hair upward
Instead of pulling the hair back and straight as you might be accustomed to with straightening, pull it upward and away from your scalp.
Once the straightener is halfway through the strand, go ahead, and pull the iron away from your head. Going upward, instead of straight back or down will create volume.
Step 5 Continue straightening
Continue straightening and finish the rest of the layers similarly to the first.
At this point, you can start teasing your hair but make sure you use a flexible hairspray to ensure that you can style the hair while allowing it to move around a bit, this too will help to add more volume.
Remember to work in small sections. The thicker your hair is, the more work it is going to be, but it’s definitely worth it in the end.
Step 6 Finish
Finish the job by running your fingers through the hair, beginning at the roots to give it some lift.
How to volumize straightened hair: products
Imagine you have turned your hair into sleek strands after using your straightener or flat iron. To avoid your straightened hair looking lifeless, you need to choose specially formulated products for this purpose.
If you wish to know how to volumize straightened hair, or how to add volume when straightening hair, you can do so by choosing any of the following products below.
Styling Cream: John Frieda Frizz Ease Secret Weapon Touch-Up Crème
A reliable product that can add volume to straightened hair is a styling cream.
We recommend John Frieda Frizz Ease Secret Weapon Touch-Up Crème. This multi-use styling cream helps to transform parched hair into smooth, glossy locks and tames frizz and flyaways while helping to camouflage split ends.
John Frieda Frizz Ease Touch-up Crème helps fight frizz and flyaways on the go. Suitable for all hair types, including chemically and color-treated hair.
Use Secret Weapon Touch-up Creme on hair before creating a braid to provide added grip and tame any frizz that may appear.
How to use John Frieda Frizz Ease Secret Weapon Touch-Up Crème:
- Massage this rich formula through your damp hair to leave locks looking fuller & voluminous with natural movement.
- Use a blow dryer & round brush for even more visible volume.
Finish Spray: SexyHair Big Spray & Play
Another way to get volume in your hair after straightening it is with a hair spray.
This SexyHair Big Spray & Play offers a workable, medium to high hold finish that lasts up to 120 hours, providing up to six times the volume and lift with a flake-free finish. Formulated for fine, medium, and coarse hair types.
This volumizing hairspray provides hair with up to 72 hours of humidity resistance. Sexy Hair Big Spray & Play will support volume styling with added humidity-resistance ingredients.
Also, this product remains a TOP Seller and fan favorite from the pro to end consumer.
This finishing hair spray is certainly what you are looking for to instantly add body to a flat style.
How to use SexyHair Big Spray & Play:
- Hold the can 8” to 10” away from dry hair
- Spray into styled hair for lift and hold
Hair Serum: Ovation Hair Pure Volume
Most women may not rely on hair serum, but a hair serum can create a subtly thicker look after straightening hair.
We like Ovation Hair Pure Volume, this is a heat-activated serum that adds instant volume and bounce to any hair type. This is the perfect complement to Cell Therapy, delivering maximum fullness, thickness, and strength.
This serum stands out from other volume hair products because it nourishes the hair using a luxurious blend of exclusive vitamins and minerals at high levels unmatched in the industry.
It’s infused with Argan, Avocado, Passionfruit Seed, Rice Bran, and Acai Pulp Oils. It also contains zero parabens, perfect for everyday use.
How to use Ovation Hair Pure Volume:
- Place 6-8 pumps of Ovation Pure Volume Solution into the palm and apply through clean, damp, hair.
- Section hair and apply evenly through each section, using fingers to distribute focusing on the mid-shaft to ends.
- Dry and style with a blow dryer to activate and enhance volume.
Root Lift Spray: BOLDIFY Dry Texture Spray
Achieve straight hair with volume at the roots by using a root lift spray. We recommend BOLDIFY Dry Texture Spray.
Infused with modifying polymers, Boldify dry texture spray plumps texturizes, and separates strands to create a fuller, more dimensional style on contact, providing a light matte finish for an understatedly sleek, “undone” look.
Our proprietary formula offers a light, never-stiff all-day hold, and retains hair’s natural movement. allowing for easier styling and giving a textured grip that makes no-slip up-dos a breeze.
This revolutionary styling aid provides so much more than texture; it’s sure to be your new go-to for everything from a bit more body to insane volume and everything in between.
How to use BOLDIFY Dry Texture Spray:
- Start with fully dry detangled hair
- Apply to any areas you want to add volume, hold, or texture
- Hold the can 6-8 inches away from the hair for the best results
- Tousle hair gently
How To Add Volume When Straightening Hair Additional Tips
- If you’re having trouble touching your hair after straightening, use a hairbrush or heat-protectant glove.
- Keep in mind however that this can indicate that your flat iron is at too high of a temperature, and you might want to scale it back a little.
- After washing your hair, as usual, squeeze out as much water as you can. Next, spritz on a lightweight leave-in conditioner. This will help smooth the cuticle, which is crucial to preventing fuzz without weighing things down.
Common Questions About How To Add Volume When Straightening Hair
How do you give roots volume with a straightener?
Straighten your hair up towards the ceiling it’s as easy as the direction you straighten. Section off your hair with a comb, straight up off the top of your head, and run the flat iron from roots to ends.
If you want to give your hair a slight curl at the ends don’t be afraid to do this with your iron.
Why does my hair look so thin when I straighten it?
Straightening with a flatiron instantly makes your hair appear thinner (especially if you leave your ends pin-straight too).
For a look that’s both sleek and full, and when learning how to add volume when straightening hair, if that is the case you can learn how to use a hair straightening brush, blow-dry your hair lifting up at the roots with a round brush and rolling in at the ends.
How to add volume When Straightening Hair in the crown?
- Run a thermal brush through your first section to remove any tangles from the hair.
- Take your flat iron and slowly pass it through your first section 1-2 times.
- Next, set your iron down and pick up your thermal round brush. Using both hands, wrap the section over your brush and roll it down toward your scalp, leaving about 2-3″ between the brush and your scalp.
- Slide your flat iron below the brush and slowly slide the iron up toward the brush. At the same time, roll the brush up to the ends of the section with your flat iron following closely behind.
- Leave the brush in place, allowing the hair to cool completely before removing it.
- Gently release the section and roll the brush outwards.
How To Add Volume When Straightening Hair Video Tutorial
Products Mentioned In This Article
- Voloom Petite 1-Inch Professional Volumizing Hair Iron
- John Frieda Frizz Ease Secret Weapon Touch-Up Crème
- SexyHair Big Spray & Play
- Ovation Hair Pure Volume
- BOLDIFY Dry Texture Spray
Disclosure: The Hair Products recommended in this article are our top favorites because they have a great combination of quality, features, and affordability. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases made through the links as a way to support this site. If you buy a qualifying product, you’re not charged anything extra, but I’ll get a small commission to help pay for my expenses. I hope you find our advice helpful and discover the Best Hair Products for your needs on this list.