When you have curly hair, you know you are special and a proper curly hair routine with curly hair products must be established. Those blessed with curly hair, are aware that what may work for others, doesn’t really apply to them. This is exactly why it is absolutely necessary to create a curly hair routine after shower.
If you wish to determine what is next after you wash curly hair, or in other words how to style curly hair, or refresh your curls; first you need to know exactly what to do with it during the shower. Preparing your hair will set the basis for styling and you will achieve the exact result in your curly hair routine after shower.
Understanding the needs of curly hair is the best thing you can do for your mane. Women with curly hair have unique needs, which derive from a dense texture, and also have a natural lift. As you may already know, curly hair demands curly hair products, and a well-curated curly hair shower routine.
As you can tell, having a zero-effort approach to curly hair will get you nowhere. While it might be true that curly hair requires extra effort, and of course investing in the correct products, the effort is totally worth it. If you have no idea where to start you are in the right place. Keep reading and find the top products for the ultimate curly hair routine after shower.
Products Reviewed In This Article
Best Shampoo: SheaMoisture Curl and Shine Coconut Shampoo⇣ Jump to Review
Best Conditioner: OGX Quenching + Coconut Curls Curl-Defining Conditioner⇣ Jump to Review
Best Hair Towel: Microfiber Hair Towel Wrap⇣ Jump to Review
Best For Styling: Maui Moisture Lightweight Curls⇣ Jump to Review
Best Hair Dryer: INFINITIPRO BY CONAIR Styling Tool/Hair Dryer⇣ Jump to Review
What To Know About Curly Hair
- One of the biggest advantages of having beautiful curly hair is its adaptability of it. Wearing your hair down with a cute headband or wearing it up with a simple bun is always in style.
- When curly hair is tangled, it is a lot less noticeable than knotted straight hair. Straight hair is also known to get more split ends, which are very obvious.
- One of the benefits of having natural curls is that it is full of volume. You don’t need any special products to increase the volume of your hair.
- Heat damage, chemical damage, dandruff, split ends, breakage, hair fall, etc. are easily visible in straight hair, but not in curly hair.
- The full length of your hair does not show. Because the curls are twisted, it looks like they are so much shorter than what your hair actually is.
- Dry brushing can lead to split ends and breakage and combing or brushing your hair dry will cause frizziness.
Curly Hair Care Routine
Step 1 Find the right shampoo: SheaMoisture Curl and Shine Coconut Shampoo
Curly hair needs a lot of moisture. Many shampoos strip your hair of the natural oils it needs to stay healthy and hydrated. Help your curls retain as much moisture as possible by using curly hair shampoo.
We recommend SheaMoisture Curl and Shine Coconut Shampoo; this is a phthalate-free shampoo, paraben-free shampoo, and cruelty-free, that hair gently cleanses natural hair and improves hair’s health, and restores shine.
This curl-enhancing shampoo is a natural hair shampoo that contains coconut oil to moisturize and protect hair while replenishing lost oil.
SheaMoisture delivers this silicone-free shampoo that is a curl care shampoo and also contains hibiscus flower extracts to improve hair elasticity while reducing the occurrence of breakage.
Step 2 Allow the conditioner to do its job: OGX Quenching + Coconut Curls Curl-Defining Conditioner
Use a conditioner for curly hair, and work it into every strand, coating each curl liberally.
Use a wide-toothed comb to gently work out tangles while the conditioner is still in your hair. Let the conditioner work its magic for a few more minutes before rinsing it out.
We like OGX Quenching + Coconut Curls Curl-Defining Conditioner. The 13-fluid Ounce bottle of OGX Thick and full, Biotin, and collagen conditioner gives thin strands a thickening boost, volumizing them into fuller and more abundant-looking locks.
Thicker, fuller, healthier: ideal for flat to medium-volume hair, this volumizing conditioner leaves hair feeling thicker and healthy-looking as it helps hair feel detangled.
The nutrient-rich, plump-it-up formula contains Vitamin B7 Biotin, which helps strengthen hair to maintain growth, collagen, a building block for healthy hair, and hydrolyzed wheat protein.
Step 3 Squeeze out moisture: Microfiber Hair Towel Wrap
After stepping out of the shower, take a microfiber towel or soft cotton t-shirt, and gently squeeze your hair to remove excess moisture.
Try Microfiber Hair Towel Wrap, the hair towel is made of super-absorbent microfiber fabric, and is breathable. Compared with traditional towels, dries your hair faster and saves you time, drying it naturally.
You don’t require any rubbing to absorb excess water from your hair. One of the benefits of using our hair towel is that it helps lessen frizz on your hair because it creates less friction. And research shows that dyed hair fades slower when using our towel.
This microfiber hair towel is super soft to the hair, and it is much gentler than normal hair towels. Because it’s so lightweight, it’ll never feel heavy on your head and you also can carry these hair towels everywhere you go.
Step 4 Start your curly hair routine after shower: Maui Moisture Lightweight Curls
Start styling when hair is still wet using different types of curl-defining styling products and hair finishers, including serums, gels, sprays, and mousses.
Find the product or mixture of products that work best for your hair by first identifying your curly hair type.
You can try Maui Moisture Lightweight Curls. Pure Flaxseed is infused into this gentle blend along with quenching coconut water and citrus Oil to help define curls, soften and add shine, without weighing hair down.
Redefines your curls while hydrating every strand to keep your locks happy and healthy looking whenever you need it. Adds shine and softness to your curls for a perfect lightweight bounce without weighing them down.
The unique Maui Moisture flaxseed blend delivers many of the benefits like defined and hydrated curls plus the right amount of lightweight moisture without the mess.
Step 5 Separate & define: INFINITIPRO BY CONAIR Styling Tool/Hair Dryer
To speed up drying without adding frizz, set your hair dryer to the lowest setting, and attach a diffuser. Let your curls rest gently on the nozzle of the diffuser, and continue to scrunch, separate, and define each curl as they dry.
INFINITIPRO BY CONAIR Styling Tool/Hair Dryer is just what you need. Featuring ceramic technology plus frizz-fighting conditioning ions for less damage and more shine, this ergonomic hair dryer provides uniform heat for 50 percent faster drying.
A Cold Shot button locks hairstyles in place and rocker switches make for easy handling; Includes 3 heat/2 speed custom dryer settings for different hair types; A removable filter prevents lint buildup.
Natural ion output helps fight frizz and bring out your hair’s natural shine; includes a concentrator nozzle for focused airflow to make hair smooth and sleek, plus a diffuser for textured styles.
Curly Hair Routine After Shower Additional Tips
- Find a curl refresher spray. A common tactic for refreshing next-day curls is to add more water to the hair. Curls have the ability to add more definition and shine without adding lots of extra weight to the hair.
- Section Hair. Though you aren’t completely restyling your hair, sectioning is still important when refreshing curls so that you can ensure the even distribution of your hair products.
- Apply the spray to sections of about two to three inches, starting with the bottom layers of the hair and working your way up to the top.
- Distribute products gently. While you may use the finger-raking method to apply your product on day one, you shouldn’t use this technique when refreshing your hair since that will pull out the definition and cause frizz. Instead, use the pads of your fingertips to gently pat the product into your hair without breaking up your curls.
- Let hair dry. After applying the curl refresher spray throughout your hair, use a microfiber towel or T-shirt to scrunch out excess moisture. Then, let your hair air dry, and enjoy your bouncy, refreshed curls.
- Get a regular trim. Figuring out the best way to cut curly hair can be a challenge, but it’s essential in helping your curls look their best. The ends of your hair are the driest and thinnest part of the strand. Repair and prevent breakage and split ends with regular trims.
- Protect delicate curls against heat damage. Remember that curly hair is delicate and prone to damage. If you use heat tools to straighten or style your hair, shield it from damage with a heat-protecting spray.
- Deep condition weekly. Deeply hydrate and restore your curls with a moisturizing hair mask.
Common Questions About Curly Hair Routine After Shower
What is a good curly hair routine?
The first thing you should know about curly hair care, and styling or curly hair routine after shower is this; you absolutely do not wash your hair every day. Washing your curls daily strips your scalp of its natural oils, drying out your hair.
When you skip the shower, you give those oils more time to coat your hair from root to tip.
How do I take care of my curly hair after washing it a day?
- Apply Products to Wet Hair.
- Style Your Curls in the Shower.
- Sleep with a Silk Pillowcase or Satin Bonnet.
- Use an Aerosol Spray Bottle or Mister.
- Skip the Shampoo and Co-Wash Your Curls.
How do you refresh your curls after sleeping?
You can mix a hydrating oil or conditioner into a spray bottle to target hair that needs some extra love. After sleeping with curly hair, your curls may even benefit from curly hair products like a hydrating mist, which can soften your natural texture.
How do you wake up with curly hair after a shower?
This is as simple as it gets! Separate hair into two sections, then twist in opposing directions and fold into a bun. Secure loosely with ponytail holders and release both buns in the morning.
Apply a bit of texturizing spray to hold the bouncy style and you can be out the door.
Do you use warm or cold water during your curly hair routine?
With curly hair, it is never good to use any heat. Use cold water on your hair and the only time you are to brush it is in the shower while applying your conditioner.
How can you refresh thick curls after shower?
Thick, coarse curls tend to hold their shape more easily than our fine curlies. For this reason, a dry refresh is usually exactly what thicker curlies can do to get their hair ready for the day.
In this case, all you need is your favorite filler product; go on and grab your foam or creme, or even a leave-in conditioner.
How can you refresh fine curls after shower?
- If your curls are fine, fluffy, or on the thinner side, a wet refresh may be for you. Wet refreshing entails using mostly water to clump and redefine your curls. For this method, you’ll want to grab your trusty spray bottle, flour sack towel, and your favorite gel.
- Simply section your curls to target frizzy or undefined sections, using your water bottle to totally drench each section as you go. Once dripping wet, use prayer hands to apply a thin coat of gel.
- Finally, don’t forget to scrunch with your flour sack towel. Move section by section until your curls are wet, gelled, and refreshed
How does sleeping affect your curly hair routine after shower?
When you sleep your curly hair routine after shower gets altered. To best protect your curls while you catch those zzzs, you’ll want to figure out the best way to keep them intact.
This will set you up for success when you’re finally ready to refresh. Experts recommend using a buff or bonnet or sleeping on a satin pillowcase.
Curly Hair Routine After Shower Video Tutorial
Products Mentioned In This Article
- SheaMoisture Curl and Shine Coconut Shampoo for Curly Hair
- OGX Quenching + Coconut Curls Curl-Defining Conditioner
- Microfiber Hair Towel Wrap
- Maui Moisture Lightweight Curls
- INFINITIPRO BY CONAIR Styling Tool/Hair Dryer
Disclosure: The Hair Products recommended in this article are our top favorites because they have a great combination of quality, features, and affordability. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases made through the links as a way to support this site. If you buy a qualifying product, you’re not charged anything extra, but I’ll get a small commission to help pay for my expenses. I hope you find our advice helpful and discover the Best Hair Products for your needs on this list.